Thursday, November 4, 2010

Fuel Pump problems

This morning I had an issue with my car: it would not start, it would turn over run a second then turn off. I realized after a few tries I wasn't hearing the old "click, click" sound of the fuel pump. I was thinking it was shot. It had been replaced 10 years ago so it was a good assumption. I went ahead anyways and removed the mounting protective plate located inside the right side of the trunk. I checked the contacts and I used a test light with the ignition on to make sure it was getting current, that was ok. I then decided to research what is entailed to replace the fuel pump and found this site with pictures: here Which was great info. I read something somewhere else that talked about removing the gas cap then trying to start the car (something to do with vapor ventilation and the charcoal canister (which I need to replace the charcoal someday)
So just doing that removing the cover plate, reconnecting the wires onto the fuel pump, opening the gas cap. The car started up! So should I replace the fuel pump? I think I will just to be on the safe side and do it next payday!(I would recommend sanding the contact areas )

No comments:

Post a Comment